Friday, May 18, 2012

Progress Report

We took out the side walls and the floor because of rot issues.

Didn't get a picture of the chassis after it had been treated for rust and painted, unfortunately.  But here you can see we have a new plywood subfloor put down.  This will eventually be covered with a cork floor.

Outside walls are up!  We used birch plywood, painted with some water seal.  I'm super excited at how fast this is coming along, Miles is doing most of the work-so most props to him.

In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out a solar panel set-up.  I'm not sure why, but it's really difficult for me to grasp all these electrical concepts.  I'm slowly trudging my way through information I can find on the internet.

So far I think we'll need
-135 watt panel (apparently Kyocera is a good brand)
-a charge controller (you want PWM not MPPT says Handy Bob, btw it took me like 3 days to read that page)
-12 volt battery

We'll mostly be using electricity to power the vent fan (which is DC, will run straight from the battery), and to charge the laptop and phones (which is why we need the inverter).  I got a couple stand alone solar lanterns for lights, but we may want a plug in light eventually.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment