Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Things are happening!

After we move out of the house, we'll be living in a trailer for the next year +, until we get a structure built on the land.
Yesterday we bought our tow vehicle!  I needed something that could pull quite of bit of weight, had room for the kids and was also a 4x4.

So we bought this 2000 Chevy Tahoe Z71.  It has a tow package, V8 engine, and it's obviously roomy.  I believe the towing capacity is 6,500 lbs.  It's very strange to own such a large vehicle, but it will be used very purposefully.
Once we get the car inspected and registered and all that fun stuff, we'll get a trailer.  Right now I'm really leaning towards doing a cargo trailer conversion (read all about those here, tnttt.com is an incredible wealth of knowledge).  I'm thinking about converting a cargo trailer (as opposed to just buying a camper) for a couple reasons:
-so we can have the exact set up we want (everything we need, nothing we don't need)
-I can make it more space efficient and use a smaller trailer
-quality can be much higher (even when using salvaged materials)
-aesthetics can be whatever we choose

We're also getting ready for our massive yard sale.  It's amazing how much stuff you can just put away in your closet/basement/attic and forget about it.  You look around the house and you don't see much, but it's all hidden!  It's hard work to remove yourself from "the system".  I keep reminding myself that nothing would change if I was just moseying along.  So things are going well, I'm very excited that after all my years of planning for this, it's finally coming into fruition.  Things are happening!

1 comment: