Sunday, January 22, 2012

Birthday Books

I celebrated my 31st birthday on the 20th and I treated myself to some books.



I requested "Original Instructions" edited by Melissa K. Nelson and "Renewing America's Food Traditions" by Gary Paul Nabhan from the library.  And I ordered "Tiny Homes: Simple Shelter" by Lloyd Kahn.  I'm a big Lloyd Kahn fan.  His books are the antithesis of Dwell magazine and the overly design-y, commercial home building world (which is why I think he's so great).

I also wanted to mention that "Original Instructions" was a book that came up in amazon under similar titles to the book I mentioned in the previous post "A People's Ecology".  Amazon is a really great resource for searching out books and then checking to see if they are available from your library.  And if I find an author/editor who is consistently putting out valuable material, I like to support them by purchasing their books.

Anyway, "Original Instructions" is a compilation of speeches and talks given at the annual Bioneers conference.  Bioneers was founded by the same Kenny Ausubel that left Seeds of Change, and it seems like a pretty amazing organization from what I've read in these books and their website (bioneers.org).  These kinds of influential people and groups in a big reason why I want to move to New Mexico, there just seems to be a higher percentage of people who "get it" there.

And I have more birthday books coming!  My lovely mother-in-law is sending me "Adobe: Build it Yourself" by Paul Graham McHenry Jr., and "Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands (Vol. 1)" by Brad Lancaster.  AND I got an email today saying my pre-ordered copy of "Humble Homes, Simple Shacks" by Derek Diedricksen is coming sooner than expected.  Yay books.

No comments:

Post a Comment