Saturday, November 26, 2011

Water only washing

In keeping with my desire to move off-grid, water conservation (as well as money conservation) is consistently on my mind.  So awhile ago I decided to give water only washing a try.

Here's my experience:

-First, I just stopped using any products.  No shampoo, conditioner, bed head manipulator, Giovanni mousse or any of the other stuff I had been accumulating.

-It got greasy!  Like a waxy, hairy brick.  Luckily it was long enough for me to attempt a slicked back "Sade bun".
From the "Your Love is King" video

-I brushed it once or twice a day using both a plastic brush to get out tangles out and gather up loose hair, and a boar bristle brush to redistribute the sebum (your friendly, natural hair oil).

-I tried to get it wet as little as possible during this waxy period, water just seemed to make it worse.  The brushing was all the cleaning I needed.

-It took about 6 or 7 weeks for my hair to regulate itself.  One morning I woke up and it was back to normal.

-Maintenance is super easy at this point.  When I do get it wet in the shower (every 3 or 4 days), I massage my scalp a bit.  Then I brush at night.  DONE.

(It's not totally perfect every day, what it wasn't when I was shampooing consistently either.  A the very least it's easy, free, and possibly more healthy).

Profile pic and product-free hair



No comments:

Post a Comment